Feb 10, 2008

The Application Appliance

This post is the continuation of a thread that started with: Opportunities

The hardware it's self would not be remarkable in anyway and since I'm really only interested in the software stack the logical choice is to resell some other vendors machines preconfigured to meet my needs.

At this point I'm not exactly sure who's machines I'll use but I'd prefer it to be a vendor that sees Ubuntu (or maybe Debian) as a first class target. My short list at the moment really only contains System76 so if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear from you?

The software on the other hand is much more interesting. The software will be delivered through a private apt repository as customized packages and include specifically configured base tools such as Apache, Postgres and Ruby as well as management tools for deployment, monitoring, replication and backup.

Now obviously there's nothing special about this approach, in fact that's kind of the point. I don't want to have to re-think the simple standard parts I want to focus on the newer more unique parts. The management tools, replication and fail over to cloud services, etc...

More later....

No comments: