Apr 4, 2009

Python's DVCS Comparison

I ran across this comparison of distributed version control systems. It also appears that Python has selected Mercurial after doing this comparison. I don't really have a comment on that but I do find it interesting how different communities gravitated in different directions. With Ruby users firmly entrenched in the world of Git and now Python going with Mercurial.

Still while reading through it I found at least one thing I wanted to share. Towards the end of the comparison there's a section that evaluates how long it takes to update a stale repository. In that section there's a comment that indicates that git was not able to checkout a repository at a specific commit but I'm not sure how that effected that test?

To perform this test I would have used this...

# fetch a copy of the repository
git clone [url]
# roll everything back 700 commits
git reset --hard HEAD~700
# pull the head from remote master
git pull

I think I misunderstood what they were trying to test. It looks like they wanted to test the performance of the fetch, merge, and commit and what I described above doesn't re-fetch the 700 commits.

No comments: